Monday 5 November 2012

Escape to the country

This weekend, Nathan and I escaped to the country (well from one part to another) for a weekend away.
This was something we had planned to do for our tenth wedding anniversary back in July but a weekend in the Lakes is great at anytime of year.




 To be honest I can't think that it could have looked anymore beautiful than it did. There is just something about being immersed in God's creations that just rejuvenates my spirit like nothing else. As we drove around from Ambleside past Rydal water and Grasmere then back tracked to  Hawkshead,  then to coniston  and finally to Tarn hows the colours of the autumnal trees against the blue of the sky and the white of the snow topped peaks, lyrics to hymns filled my mind.

Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue skyWhenever I feel the rain on my faceOr the wind as it rushes by

Whenever I touch a velvet roseOr walk by a lilac treeI’m glad that I live in this beautiful worldHeavenly Father created for me

When through the woods and forest glades I wander
and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees,
when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
and hear the brook, and feel he gentle breeze

Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
We walked around Ambleside town, then drove to Coniston for a hot chocolate and cake. Then at Tarn Hows, we ummed and arred about whether it was beyond me to take a walk around the tarn. The opportunity to take photos of the stunning scenery won me over and we went for it. 



For half way round I was fine, the second half I huffed, puffed, strained and plodded very, very slowly as the baby had moved into a resting position on a nerve - not comfortable at all!

Anyway I made it - big pat on the back to me :) and the photos were certainly worth it.

In the evening we watched the new Bond and then had chinese food. A lovely day with my most favourite person to spend a day with.



On Sunday we decided to go to Chorley instead of Kendal which was the closest ward to us. It seemed like it was really where we were meant to be as not only did we get to see Grandma but Lucy was there too - also visiting Chorley on her very last Sunday before she and her family move to Vancouver . A real blessing to see one of my oldest friends totally unexpectedly.

On our way home though ready to pick up our boys, we stopped in to see Grandma Hillary. It was nice to sit and chat without interruption and hear some stories from when she was a girl.

A really wonderful weekend - exactly what we needed time for us to be... well just us.




No comments:

Post a Comment